Location: Coastal Areas of Maharashtra and Gujarat, India
Event: Cyclone Tauktae is currently causing severe winds and heavy flooding in the coastal areas of Maharashtra, including Mumbai and surrounding localities. Public services such as local transit and the international airport have ceased operations. Meteorologists expect heavy rain and wind speeds up to 120 kmph to continue over the next several hours in the Mumbai area. The storm is projected to hit parts of Gujarat later tonight with similar flooding and wind damage.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media and the Indian Meteorological Department (https://mausam.imd.gov.in/) for weather updates.
- Seek secure shelter if a cyclone is affecting your area.
- Prepare to shelter in place until conditions improve by having enough drinking water, food, and other supplies at your residence. Review the list of recommended items for an emergency at https://www.ready.gov/kit.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Notify friends and family of your safety
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Indian media at the following:
- The Hindu https://www.thehindu.com/
- The Indian Express https://indianexpress.com/
- The Telegraph https://www.telegraphindia.com/
- The Times of India https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/
Depending on weather conditions, emergency American Citizen Services appointments and operations at the U.S. Consulate General Mumbai may be limited during cyclone impact. If you or your U.S. citizen family member face an emergency situation such as arrest, hospitalization, or death, please call the U.S. Consulate General Mumbai at +91 22 2672 4000 and then dial ‘0,’ or email us at MumbaiACS@state.gov.
U.S. Consulate General Mumbai (Bombay)
C 49 G Block Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
+91 22 2672 4000
U.S. Department of State: Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444