United States Consulate General Hyderabad, India
Weather Alert for U.S. Citizens:
Pre-Cyclone Watch for Coastal Andhra Pradesh
(December 14, 2018)
Location: Coastal Andhra Pradesh, between Ongole and Kakinada
Event: A deep depression over the Bay of Bengal is predicted to develop into a cyclone and expected to cross the Andhra Pradesh coast between Ongole and Kakinada on December 17. High winds are expected along and off the Andhra Pradesh coast, with gusts up to 110 kilometers per hour. Beginning December 15, heavy to very heavy rainfall is expected over coastal Andhra Pradesh, as well as in coastal areas of Tamil Nadu, including Chennai.
During the monsoon season, and in the event of storms and cyclones, you should monitor weather reports for the latest information on local weather forecasts and trends. Be prepared before a storm or a flood, know how to stay safe during an event, and know how to use caution afterwards.
Actions to Take
- Seek secure shelter.
- Be prepared to shelter in place until conditions improve.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for weather updates.
- Follow directions of local authorities.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Recent cyclone alerts can be found here, and the website for the India Meteorological Division is available here.
- The U.S. Embassy New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone: +91-11-2419-8000; website: https://in.usembassy.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051; telephone: +91-22-2672-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006; telephone: +91-44-2857-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone: +91-33-3984-2400.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003; telephone: +91-40-4033-8300.
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- S. State Department – Consular Affairs; telephone: 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
If you would like to unsubscribe from these messages, follow the link below. Select “unsubscribe” and enter your email address: