United States Consulate General Chennai, India
Weather Alert for U.S. Citizens:
August 9, 2018
Location: Kerala State
Event: Heavy southwest monsoon rains continue throughout the state of Kerala, triggering landslides and flash floods. Given above-average and ongoing precipitation in the past several weeks, some low-level areas are flooded and reservoirs have reached full capacity. Media reports the northern districts of Palakkad, Idukki, Wayanad, Kozhikode, and Malappuram in Kerala are among the most significantly affected, and have reported weather-related deaths. Kerala’s Idukki dam is opening its floodgates, which could impact the downstream area along the Periyar river in Kerala’s Ernakulam district. Local media reports flights to Kochi have been suspended.
Actions to Take
- Avoid all areas throughout Kerala affected by landslides and flash floods.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for weather updates.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- U.S. Embassy New Delhi
Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021
- U.S. Consulate General Mumbai (Bombay)
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
- U.S. Consulate General Chennai (Madras)
220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
- U.S. Consulate General Kolkata (Calcutta)
5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
- U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad
Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003