United States Consulate General Chennai, India
Weather Alert for U.S. Citizens
August 16, 2018
Location: Kerala State
Event: Extreme southwest monsoon rains continue throughout the state of Kerala, and adjacent districts in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, triggering landslides, flash floods and other emergency situations. As of the morning of Thursday, August 16, media reported more than 60 deaths and large numbers of people stranded due to the weather. Heavy rains are expected to continue with the ongoing monsoon season. Given above-average and ongoing precipitation in the past several weeks, many low-lying areas are flooded, and reservoirs have reached full capacity, requiring authorities to open the flood gates of dams.
The India Meteorological Department issued a red alert for districts in Wayanad, Idukki, Alappuzha, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Palakkad, Malappuram, Kozhikode, Kollam, Pathanamthitta, and Kottayam ahead of the possible release of more water from the Idukki and other reservoirs. The Periyar, Chalakudy Puzha, and Pampa rivers are overflowing in central Kerala. The water levels in the Killiyar, Karamanayar, Vamanapuram rivers, and the Parvathyputhanar canal in Thiruvananthapuram district, are also steadily rising.
Flights to Kochi have been suspended until Saturday, August 18. Many roads throughout Kerala may be impassable. Bus and train services through large parts of Kerala are suspended. Power supply, communication systems, and drinking water distribution systems have also been disrupted in various parts of the state.
Actions to Take
- Wherever possible, avoid travel to and within Kerala. Especially avoid all areas affected by landslides and flash floods.
- Seek secure shelter. Be prepared to shelter in place until conditions improve.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for weather updates.
- Follow directions of local authorities.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Note the following emergency service contact numbers in Kerala State:
- State Control Room: 0471-2331639
- Trivandrum: 0471-2730045
- Nedumassery: 0484-3053500
- Pathanamthitta: 0468-2322515
- Mallapuram: 0469-2682293
- Ranny: 0473-5227442
- Tiruvalla: 0469-2601303
- Chengannur: 0479-2456094
- Adoor: 0473-4224826
- Idukki: 9383463036
- Ernakulam: 7902200400
- U.S. Embassy New Delhi
Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021
- U.S. Consulate General Mumbai (Bombay)
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
- U.S. Consulate General Chennai (Madras)
220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
- U.S. Consulate General Kolkata (Calcutta)
5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
- U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad
Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003