Victims of Crime

If you feel you are in danger of any sort, contact the local police immediately and move to a safe location. Report crimes to the local police by calling “100” from a landline or “112” from a mobile phone. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime. If you are concerned about the safety of a friend or relative in the United States, please contact the local United States police authority in their last known location.

Being the victim of a crime in a foreign country can be a devastating and traumatic experience. While no one can undo the emotional trauma, physical injury, or financial loss you may have experienced, we are here to help.

What we can do

  • We can help you contact your family, friends, or employer if you wish.
  • We can explain how you can report the crime to local law enforcement.
  • We can provide information about resources for victims of crime in India.
  • We can help you seek medical care if you are injured. Please click here for information.
  • We can help you find ways to meet emergency needs, such as finding shelter, food or clothing if needed.
  • We can provide information about crime victim assistance resources in your state of residence if you are returning to the United States.

Legal Support

We cannot provide specific legal advice, represent you in court, or pay any legal costs. However, we can provide you with a general overview about the local criminal justice process. We have also compiled legal information and lists of attorneys for you here.

Questions involving interpretation of Indian laws should be addressed to legal counsel licensed to practice law in India. The investigation and prosecution of the crime is solely the responsibility of local authorities.

Passport Services

If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, here is how you can apply for a new U.S. passport.

Support in India

On our Embassy and Consulates contact page, you will find links to post-specific resources.

Support in the United States

If you need help locating victim support services in your community in the United States, you can contact the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services on 1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444.

Do you think you are a victim in a financial scam?

State Dept. – International Financial Scams