Adult passport holders may renew their 10-year U.S. passports in person or by mail. We reserve the right to request an interview with respect to any passport application.
To renew your passport by mail:
1. Complete and print the passport application online here.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by courier to an address in India.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the “expedite fee” option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Do not use two-sided printing
2. Submit all required documents with the printed application form:
- One studio-quality color photograph taken within the last six months measuring 2″ x 2″ (5cm x 5cm) with a white background. No other photo format will be accepted. Glasses are not acceptable in your photo. If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with your application. More information
- The applicant’s most recent U.S. passport and a photocopy of the biographic information page. This passport will be cancelled and returned by mail along with the new passport. Valid visas in the old passport will not be cancelled.
- Properly completed and printed passport application form. The form must be signed and dated, and must include a valid telephone number (mobile or landline) and/or e-mail address.
- If the applicant’s appearance has changed significantly since the old passport was issued, a clear photocopy of another current form of photo identification, such as a driver’s license, PIO Card, etc.
- If the applicant’s surname has changed due to marriage, please include an original marriage certificate.
- Passport Fee payment: If applying by mail, please submit a demand draft in favor of “American Embassy, New Delhi” drawn on a national bank. Personal checks are not accepted.
If applying by mail, please send (or deliver) all of the required documents to this address:
American Citizen Services Unit
New Delhi – 110 021
We recommend that you use Indian registered mail or a reliable courier service that uses tracking numbers for sending in your application.
Important Note: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 6.5KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 400 (Effective May 1st 2017, this rate is being increased to INR 450) payable to “FedEx Express TSCS (India) Pvt. Ltd.” payable at New Delhi. Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn from any nationalized, foreign bank or co-operative bank operating in India. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reach FedEx, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on Fedex’s website using the air waybill provided by Fedex.
Renewal-by-mail service is NOT available if you are:
- A minor (under 16 years old)
- Replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated passport
- Renewing a 5-year passport applicants whose passport has been expired for more than five years.
These applicants must make an appointment to apply in person and bring all of the required documents listed above. Appointments are available for American citizens Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. We are closed on American and Indian holidays.
Please arrive fifteen minutes before your appointment to clear security. Mobile phones, electronic devices other restricted items are not permitted inside the Embassy.
Complete fee information is available here.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 7-10 business days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
General information about U.S. passports is available here.