- Processing time is about 3 to 4 weeks.
- You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.
Children Under 16
All applicants (children) must appear in person accompanied by both parents. To book an appointment click here.
- Proof of US citizenship
- Proof of parent-child relationship (original + 1 photocopy)
- U.S. birth certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Foreign birth certificate
- Adoption decree
- Divorce/Custody decree
Note: All documents must be original – no photocopies. All foreign documents must be accompanied by an English translation.
- Present Parents’ valid IDs (original + 1 photocopy)
- One passport photo
White background /2″ × 2″ in size / no eyeglasses
- Complete the DS-11 passport application online. Check out the steps to fill an online passport application here. Take a print out of the barcoded application.
*NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
- Complete fee information is available here.
Photos Showing Age Progression
If your child’s most recent passport was issued under the age of 5, you should present photos to demonstrate age progression of the child from the age in the previous passport to the present age. One photo per year is sufficient.
Parental Consent for Minors
Children under age 16 cannot apply for a passport by themselves. Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.
What if both parents/guardians cannot appear in person?
Applying for a Social Security Number
Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details here.
Check the Status of Your Passport
Check the status of your passport here: https://passportstatus.state.gov/
Passport Book renewal takes 3-4 weeks and Passport Cards may take more than 4 weeks to arrive. If you would like the passport book to be mailed earlier than the passport card, you will need to purchase two Air waybills for Blue Dart courier. If you need a new U.S. passport in less than three weeks, you should discuss this during your appointment as you may require an emergency passport.