In order to renew your passport without a personal appearance, you must answer YES to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book was issued.
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago.
- My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration.
- The U.S. passport book that I am renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost or stolen.
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application.)
- I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in India.
If you do not meet these criteria please see our Passport Services page or Adults (age 16 and older) application in person for instructions on making an appointment to submit a passport application in person at the Embassy/Consulate.
Instructions for DS-82 Processing by Mail – for U.S. citizens residing in India
Please note: Due to the high volume of applications, the Embassy & Consulates will not confirm the receipt of individual applications. Please check with your courier service to confirm delivery to the Embassy or Consulates. Once your application is data entered into our system, you can check the status of your passport online on https://passportstatus.state.gov/
Step 1: SIGN and complete the DS-82 Passport Renewal Form (PDF version ). Type or print clearly in black ink.
* NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, please click here.
Step 2: One WHITE background color passport photo 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; no eyeglasses. See more information on photo requirements.
Step 3: Include the passport you are renewing in the package you mail to the Embassy.
Step 4: <if applicable> Name change documents (original + 1 photocopy)
If you would like to change the name on your new passport due to marriage, divorce or court order, please include proof of your name change. Documents must be original with English translation if applicable. You must provide us with the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.
Step 5: Adults now have two options to pay the renewal fees as part of their mail-in application packets.
Pay the $130 passport application fee in U.S. Dollars via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you submit.
Pay the $130 passport book application fee via demand draft from a national bank in favor of the appropriate Embassy or Consulate.
- American Embassy, New Delhi
- U.S. Consulate General, Chennai
- U.S. Consulate General, Hyderabad
- U.S. Consulate General, Kolkata
- U.S. Consulate General, Mumbai
The exchange rate accepted by the Embassy and Consulates is $1 = INR 84. Therefore, the $130 adult passport renewal fee equals INR 10,920. Errors with the demand draft will delay the processing of your application.
If applying for an adult passport book and card, the fee is $160 which equals INR 13,440.
Step 6: Submit a demand draft to pay for the courier services to return your new passport to you. Follow the courier instructions carefully in order to avoid delays in the return of your new passport.
Step 7: Mail all the items listed above to the Embassy or Consulate responsible for the Indian state where you are located. You are strongly encouraged to send your DS-82 passport renewal package via a courier or Indian Speed Post.
Step 8: Passport Book renewal takes 3-4 weeks and Passport Cards may take more than 4 weeks to arrive. If you have applied for both a passport book and card, you should purchase two Air waybills for Blue Dart courier because the passport book will be mailed earlier than the passport card.
Before you Send your Package
- Did you SIGN your application form
- Did you include a WHITE background passport Photo