All adult passport renewal applications for U.S. adult citizens anywhere in India are now processed via mail by U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad. Please review the “Eligibility” section below for information about urgent passport renewals for emergency travel. Send your passport renewal questions to HydPPT@state.gov.
HOW TO APPLY
Steps to renewing your U.S. passport by mail (Form DS-82) and paying your application fee online via Pay.gov:
1. Verify your eligibility to apply on Form DS-82;
2. Visit Pay.gov and make your online payment for your DS-82 renewal application;
3. Print out the emailed payment confirmation you receive;
4. Complete the DS-82 application form, including your signature and the date, and attach your 2×2 photo;
5. Mail the following via mail or courier to U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad:
– payment confirmation printout from Pay.gov and/or payment for a passport card
– your signed DS-82 application
– most recent passport book (and passport card, if applicable)
– 2in x 2in (5cm x 5cm) photo (see requirements here)
– demand draft payable to Blue Dart for courier return of passport (follow instructions here)
– proof of name change (if applicable)
You can use any local courier or mail service of your choice to send applications to U.S. Consulate Hyderabad. All passports are returned via Blue Dart courier service. Due to the volume of adult passport renewals, U.S. Consulate Hyderabad will not respond to inquiries about receipt of packages. Applicants should use online tools from their chosen courier service to track your shipment. Processing time for passport renewal applications starts from the time we receive your application packet, not when you send it to us.
You are eligible to renew by mail on Form DS-82 if you can answer yes to all of the following:
· I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application;
· I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport book was issued;
· I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago;
· My most recent U.S. passport book has/had a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
· My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application); and I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in India.
If you are eligible to renew by mail, you do not need to make an in-person appointment. If you do not meet these criteria to renew by mail, you must instead apply for a new passport on Form DS-11 and make an appointment to submit an application in-person, at either U.S. Embassy New Delhi or one of the Consulate Generals in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, or Mumbai.
Passport renewal by mail typically takes approximately 4 weeks. If you have a need for immediate international travel, we may be able to issue you a limited validity emergency passport; please schedule an appointment to do so. Be prepared to provide proof of your itinerary or urgent need to travel. If you require an earlier appointment than what is available online, contact the appropriate Embassy or Consulate by email. Please include in your email your planned travel itinerary, a copy of your passport’s bio-data page, and indicate “Emergency Passport” in the subject line of your email.
PAYMENT METHODS & DETAILS
When renewing your passport via Form DS-82, you will pay the adult passport renewal application fee of $130.00 online at Pay.gov, via ACH Bank Account Transfer (from a U.S. bank account), U.S. or international credit/debit card, PayPal, or Amazon Pay. This amount cannot be altered. You must pay the fee in U.S. dollars. We no longer accept demand drafts for mail-in renewals.
Once on the Pay.gov site, enter your current legal name, even if different from the name that appears on your prior passport, into the name fields. If you are submitting a payment on behalf of another passport renewal applicant, please enter their name. All fields are required.
The payment form on Pay.gov is encrypted to ensure the security of your personal information. Pay.gov is a secure portal, used by more than 40 U.S. government agencies, to collect forms and payments. Pay.gov uses 128-bit SSL encryption to protect your transaction.
If you experience technical issues with your online payment, please email OnsiteFees@state.gov with a description or screenshots of the issue you are experiencing.
After successfully paying the fee, you will receive a confirmation email. Please print out that electronic payment confirmation and include the printout in the application package you submit.
Online fee payment is currently available for passport book renewals only, and not for a passport book and passport card combination. If you wish to renew both a passport book and card, please complete the $130 passport book fee through the Pay.gov portal AND include a demand draft for the Rs. 2,520 in favor of “U.S. Consulate General, Hyderabad”. Demand drafts must be computer-generated.
For DS-82 Adult Passport Renewal (Mail-in only):
We receive DS-82 renewal application packages at U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad. Please mail your DS-82 application package, including proof of your online payment, to:
American Citizens Services, Consular Section
U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad
Survey No. 115/1, Financial District, Nanakramguda
Hyderabad, Telangana, 500032
RECEIVING YOUR RENEWED PASSPORT
- Passport will be returned by Blue Dart courier within four weeks of approval.
- The courier fee is INR 865 (inclusive of all taxes) for delivery within India.
- Please submit a courier slip and along with the bank draft for INR 865 favoring ‘BLUE DART EXPRESS LIMITED’.
Please note: All applicants submitting a bank draft must ensure the draft lists the “payable at” location as Payable at Hyderabad. If it mentions payable at any other city, it will not be accepted. DO NOT SEND CASH if you are renewing your application by mail!
- Your previous, canceled passport will be delivered together with your new U.S. passport along with any original documents you submitted.
- You may check the status of your DS-82 renewal passport application using the Department of State’s U.S. Passport Application Status online application.
Please note that shipping time from the printing facility in the United States to U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad is typically two weeks and delivery times may vary. If the application status is listed as complete, the passport could still be enroute to Hyderabad.