Passport card

The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card cannot be used for international air travel. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

When outside the United States and the above-mentioned countries, the passport card can be used as a valid citizenship identification, though it is not valid for travel internationally.

How do I get a passport card?

You can apply via mail to the Embassy or Consulate nearest you using form DS-82 if you have a passport book or card that:

  • Can be submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply in person using form DS-11.

For more information view our instructions (For Adults/For Minors). Please note that your full name on the passport book may be truncated to match the passport card due to limited space available on the passport card.

Fees Information


The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card has the same period of validity as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger. Adults who already have a fully valid passport book may apply for the card as a passport renewal.