Obtaining Vital Records

The U.S. Embassy/Consulate keeps no files of the different documents we issue, such as a Consular Report of Birth, or documents dealing with the death of a U.S. citizen in India. These records are instead filed in Washington. We also do not keep any files of Indian civil documents, such as records of marriages and divorces in India. These records are held by the Indian government. Other records, such as birth certificates for people born in the United States, are stored in the state of origin.

This page is designed to help you locate the vital record documents you need. The Embassy cannot obtain documents on your behalf and cannot provide translations of documents issued in other languages.