Emergency Financial Assistance

If you are a U.S. citizen in India and you are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances, please visit travel.state.gov for tips about how to get money.

If you are having trouble getting in touch with family or friends that can help or are not sure whom to contact, you should contact us. You can find embassy and consulate contact information here.

We can:

  • Help you contact your family, friends, bank, credit card company or employer to arrange for the transfer of funds.
  • In certain limited circumstances, provide a reimbursable government loan. Please be aware that if an emergency loan is issued, your U.S. passport will be limited, and a full passport cannot be issued until after you have repaid the loan in full. Due to the requirements and restrictions, an emergency loan must be understood as a last resort. We will help you explore other sources of funding first.

We cannot provide you with non-reimbursable funds, and we cannot offer a loan to help you live in India permanently or travel to a destination other than the United States.

You can help

If you are in the United States and you are concerned about a U.S. citizen in India who has become destitute, you can call the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during Eastern Standard Time business hours) or 1-202-501-4444 (after hours EST).