I-130 Processing

Petition for Alien Relative Form I-130

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi accepts I-130 petitions from U.S. citizens who reside in India. U.S. citizens whose principal residence is not in India, and/or are abroad temporarily as a visitor or on business, must file the petition in the United States.

If you are not eligible to file in New Delhi, you should file the petition with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence or last residence in the United States. Lawful Permanent Residents must file the petition in the United States.  Complete instructions on Form I-130 including the location to file is available here.

Evidence of Residence

Proof of such residency will include a U.S. passport with an appropriate long-term, valid Indian visa and a Registration Report and Residential Permit issued by the Foreigner’s Regional Registration Office (FRRO) of the Government of India. Additional evidence should include, but is not limited to, on-going employment in India, taxes paid in India, rent/property receipts, and utility receipts in India.

United States Citizens must be present to file their petitions. If a United States Citizen is filing for a spouse, it is recommended that the spouse also appear so that immigration officials may ask any questions necessary for the adjudication of the petition.