Consular Report of Birth Abroad Checklist

Complete and bring the following items indicated on this checklist.


  • You must bring the original documents, or certified copy, and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.
  • You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents.

CRBA Checklist

 Book Appointment

The child must accompany the parent to the Embassy. Appointments are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. To book an appointment click here.

□ Consular Report of Birth Application (DS-2029)

  • Form DS-2029 – Complete online and print out single-sided.
  • Hand write any information that needs to be added or corrected after printing out the form.
  • The application must be signed in front of a consular officer, notary public, or other person qualified to administer oaths.
  • If one parent is not a U.S. citizen or if the U.S. citizen parent who is transmitting citizenship to your child is not present when applying for a CRBA, that parent should complete Form DS-5507 as supporting evidence, and it can be used to list the periods of time they spent in the United States.
  • If your child was born out-of-wedlock, and the father is a U.S. citizen or non-citizen U.S national, use Form DS-5507 to acknowledge the child and voluntarily agree to financially support them. Form DS-5507 must be signed by the father at a U.S. embassy or consulate or in front of a U.S. or foreign official who registers births or who is responsible for oaths.

□ Passport Application (DS-11)

  • Form DS-11  – Complete online and print out single-sided.
  • Enter “000-00-0000” for Social Security Number.
  • If one parent is unable to appear in person, please click here

□ Child’s Birth Certificate (original/certified copy + 2 photocopies)

  • Child’s original birth certificate issued by the local authorities (including English translation, if applicable). The birth certificate must include the name of the child.

□ Parents’ Marriage Certificate, if applicable (original/certified copy + 1 photocopy)

  • If married in the United States; Original / “certified-copy” Marriage Certificate issued by city/county/state. (NOT a church or “bride/groom” copy. Please make sure your certificate has a file date.)

□ Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages for both parents, if applicable (original/certified copy + 1 photocopy)

  • Original/certified copies of divorce decree and/or death certificate(s) for all prior marriages. Divorce decrees must be issued by the court and include an embossed or wet seal. Photocopies sent from a lawyer may not be the original certified copy.

□ Evidence of Parent’s U.S. Citizenship (original + 1 photocopy)

  • Click here for information on proof of citizenship.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized, he/she must bring the original Certificate of Naturalization.

□ Evidence of physical presence (view requirements based on relationship)

  • Physical presence is the actual time when the parent was physically standing in the United States, not simply holding a status as a resident.
  • This means that any travel outside the United States, including vacation, should be excluded. Physical presence in the United States can be any time before the child’s birth.  This can include the time before the U.S. citizen parent was naturalized as a U.S. citizen.
  • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, he/she must prove a total of five (5) years of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth.  At least two of the five years must have been after the age of 14.
  • Parents must provide documentary proof of their time spent in the United States. Primary evidence that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. include: current and expired passports, transcripts from high school and/or college, wage statements, and DD214 Separation Statement (for military members). Secondary evidence includes: credit card bills, airline ticket stubs, immigration paperwork. Please note that this list is not exhaustive. If you are unable to provide sufficient evidence, the application may be placed on hold until you submit further documentation.
  • Any documented periods of time spent overseas with the United States Military/Government etc. may be computed as physical presence in the United States for transmission of citizenship purposes. Time spent as a dependent child of a United States Military/Government employee hired directly by the Department of Defense may also be computed as physical presence. Military records may be requested.

□ Proof of relationship

  • If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth, bring evidence of the parents’ physical presence together at the time of the child’s conception (i.e. passport stamps, military travel orders) as well as proof of their relationship prior to the child’s birth (i.e. letters, photos, print out of e-mails)

□ Appropriate medical records or medical documentation

  • Prenatal medical records and hospital birth records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.).
  • If any method of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) was used to facilitate the child’s conception, appropriate medical records or medical documentation to establish the biological/genetic relationship between the child and his/her U.S. citizen parent(s) will be required.

□ Both Parents’ IDs (original + 1 photocopy)

  • Click here for information on proof of ID.
  • For foreign national spouses, please bring passports.

□ Application Fee

□ Photo

□ Courier Delivery Fee

  • Click here for information on courier delivery fees.
Applying for a Social Security Number

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, see further details here.