Report Birth Abroad

  1. Report Birth Abroad
  2. Transmitting Citizenship

At this time, routine in-person appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad remain suspended.  If you have an immediate need to travel in the near future, please email New DelhiChennaiHyderabadKolkata, or Mumbai and request an emergency appointment.  We will work with you to evaluate your situation, but may ask that you postpone your request.  

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad is a certificate that states that a child is a U.S. citizen from birth. Many, but not all, children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent are eligible to be documented as U.S. citizens through issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport.

If you were previously issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and wish to request a replacement copy, please click here.

Parents of children born of surrogacy, please read general information here.

Appointment and Interview

Application for a Consular Report of Birth must be made, in person, through a prearranged appointment. The child must accompany the parent to the Embassy/Consulate. Appointment availability for American citizens varies depending on your location. Further, the Embassy/Consulate is closed on American and Indian holidays.

Make an Appointment Here

We strongly encourage both parents to be present when filing an application for a child’s CRBA and first time passport.

Required Documents

Parents typically choose to apply for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time they apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The list below covers both the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and the U.S. passport.

Please bring the following original items to the interview:

  • Proof of the parents’ identity and citizenship such as U.S. or other passports.
  • Child’s original birth certificate issued by the local authorities (including English translation, if applicable). The birth certificate must include the name of the child.
  • One studio quality photograph of the child, 2″ x 2″ in size and taken against a white background. The child must be facing forward with his/her ears showing and eyes open. Glasses are not acceptable in your photo. If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with your application. More information.
  • Prenatal and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.).
  • If the child was born through surrogacy: a detailed medical certificate from the surrogacy clinic or ART physician which reflects this fact.
  • The parents’ marriage certificate, or other proof of their relationship prior to the child’s conception, if applicable.
  • Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S. (This is not required if BOTH parents are U.S. citizens.)  For children born to one U.S. citizen and one foreign national, the U.S. citizen parent will need to show five years of CUMULATIVE physical presence in the U.S., two of which must be after the age of 14. Examples of items that show physical presence are school transcripts, pay receipts, passport entry/exit stamps in current and previous passports, etc.
  • If also applying for a passport (see below) and only one parent is present in India, the other parent must complete Parental Consent Form DS-3053. A scanned copy of DS-3053 will not be accepted unless there is an emergency need to travel. This form must be notarized and submitted with a notarized copy of the absent parent’s photo ID (their passport is preferred).
  • Complete and print the following forms online before coming to your appointment but Please Do Not Sign The Forms Until Directed To Do So By A Consular Officer.DS-2029, Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (PDF)Form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport

Insufficient Evidence of Relationship

If the Consular Officer finds that there is insufficient evidence of a genetic relationship between the parent(s) and the child(ren), a DNA test may be recommended at the time of interview.  If the interviewing officer makes this recommendation, then parents can expect a processing delay of approximately two weeks to allow for the receipt of the DNA test kit at the Embassy/Consulate, sample collection, the mailing of the sample, and the receipt of results from the lab.  Parents should factor this possible delay into their plans.  If a DNA test is recommended, you will be provided with all details related to this testing at the time of your interview.  All costs and expenses associated with DNA testing must be borne entirely by the passport applicant and his/her family.

For more information on DNA testing, see “Information for Parents on U.S. Citizenship and DNA Testing”  

Complete fee information is available here.

Indian Visa

Whether you plan to stay in India or travel outside India, your child will need an Indian visa. After receiving the passport for your child, you can apply for an Indian visa at the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) in your area, where the visa will be placed in your child’s new passport.  Make an appointment with FRRO here.

The process of getting an Indian visa generally takes up to three business days.  In surrogacy cases, getting the Indian visa can take up to 2 weeks.  Because this is a government of India process, the Embassy/Consulate cannot say exactly how long it will take, or expedite the process. Your child cannot leave India without this visa.

Passport Processing Time

Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 7-10 business days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.

Please note that starting November 4, 2015, commercial surrogacy is no longer lawful in India.  Surrogacies commissioned before November 4 will continue under previous regulations, but should contact Indian State Health Authorities and the Indian Ministry of Health for further details.