U.S. Citizen Services


The United States Embassy and Consulates in India remain unable to resume routine American citizen services, including routine appointments for passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and notarial services, at this time.  We will resume services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date.

Currently, the U.S. Embassy and Consulates are offering limited, in-person appointments for some urgent services.  U.S. citizens eligible to use form DS-82 for passport renewals may send those applications my mail to the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate in India.

Urgent In-Person Passport Appointments:

If you have an immediate need to travel in the near future, or another urgent circumstance, please email New DelhiChennaiHyderabadKolkata, or Mumbai and request an emergency passport appointment.  The safety of our staff and applicants remains our highest priority, and due to our social distancing policy, we are only able to accommodate appointments to those with truly urgent circumstances.  We strongly encourage those who do not have immediate travel plans, and who qualify to use form DS-82, to submit a passport renewal request by mail.

Adult Passport Renewals By Mail:

Passport processing centers in the United States have resumed operations.  If you have previously applied for a passport, your documents should be produced soon and we are working to get them to you as quickly as possible.  The U.S. Embassy and Consulates have resumed processing mail-in passport applications for those who qualify to use form DS-82.  Please check your eligibility for passport renewal by mail here.

Minor-child Passport Renewals:

At this time, routine in-person appointments for minor passport renewals are suspended.  If you must use form DS-11 and have an immediate need to travel in the near future or another urgent circumstance requiring a renewed passport (education, legal or other)  please email New DelhiChennaiHyderabadKolkata, or Mumbai and request an emergency passport appointment.   Please note we will accept appointments on a case-by-case basis and may ask that you postpone your request.

Consular Reports of Birth Abroad:

At this time, routine in-person appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad remain suspended.  If you have an immediate need to travel in the near future, please email New DelhiChennaiHyderabadKolkata, or Mumbai and request an emergency appointment.  We will work with you to evaluate your situation, but may ask that you postpone your request.

Notarial Services: 

Most notarial services are currently suspended.  We recognize U.S. citizens in India may have an emergency (i.e., life/death/financial hardship) need for a notarial service.  If you believe your situation constituents an emergency, please email New DelhiChennaiHyderabadKolkata, or Mumbai.  We will review notary service appointment requests on a case-by-case basis.

For those seeking to notarize documents for use in the United States, you may wish to consider using alternative options, to include utilizing a remote notarial service provider.  A growing number of states accept documents notarized through online services; you will need to research whether they can be used in the state where your document will be filed.  Remote notarization could fulfill your need for notary services more quickly.

The U.S. Embassy and Consulates provide services to U.S. citizens in the Indian states of their consular districts.

New Delhi

  • Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, and the country of Bhutan


  • Karnataka, Kerala, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, Tamil Nadu, and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands


  • Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, and Odisha


  • Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura, and West Bengal


  • Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Diu and Daman, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli

Alerts and Messages

COVID-19 Information
See all Messages and Alerts for U.S. Visitors to India.