On August 15th, India will commemorate its Independence Day. While this is a happy occasion, it is important to note that it brings with it the need for heightened security measures country-wide. Embassy New Delhi would like to inform you of the increased security, what you can expect, and to remind you to remain vigilant.
- Major tourist areas, i.e. Red Fort, India Gate, Raj Ghat, Gateway of India, etc.
- Border regions within Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, and Rajasthan
- Public offices and educational institutions
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Heightened police presence throughout all major cities with added vehicle security checkpoints. Additional traffic police will conduct traffic checks and random searches of seatbelts, and speed enforcement.
- The closure of major roads which will lead to heavier traffic, alternate routes, and lengthy commutes in the above mentioned areas.
- Increased security and check-in delays at both domestic and international terminals. Travelers should plan on adding extra time to their travel schedules.
- Increased security at hotels and shopping centers. In addition, before booking a hotel, confirm that there is no major event scheduled in the hotel or surrounding area.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- Keep a low profile. Avoid all demonstrations and civil disturbances. Do not draw attention to yourself.
- Remain vigilant. This is often called situational awareness. Observe what is going on around you – outside your home and in public places.
- Monitor local media for information regarding developing security risks.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook or visit our Internet home page at https://in.usembassy.gov.
- The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone +91-11-2419-8000; fax +91-11-2419-8407.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051; telephone +91-22-2672-4000; fax +91-22-2672-4786.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006; telephone +91-44-2857-4000; fax +91-44-2811-2027.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone +91-33-3984-2400; fax +91-33-2282-2335.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003; telephone: +91 (40) 4033-8300.