As we head into the New Year, we are updating the December 21 Security Message to add popular tourist destinations such as resorts, beaches and shopping malls to the list of destinations at which U.S. citizens should maintain a high level of vigilance.
Please be reminded that recent Indian media reports indicate terrorist groups’ desires to attack targets in India. The U.S. Embassy warns of an increased threat to places in India frequented by Westerners, such as resorts, beaches, shopping malls, religious sites, markets, and festival venues. All U.S. citizens are reminded to maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness as detailed in the State Department’s Worldwide Caution of September 9, 2016.
Personal Security Tips:
Consistent with our general advice we recommend the following three basic rules:
Keep a low profile. Avoid all demonstrations and civil disturbances. Do not draw attention to yourself.
Be unpredictable. An unpredictable target is a hard target. When possible, change the routes and times of your daily movements (i.e. to/from work, the gym, school). Vary your professional and social activities.
Remain vigilant. This is often called situational awareness. Observe what is going on around you – outside your home and in public places. Do you see anything out of the ordinary? If so, notify the authorities immediately.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone +91-11-2419-8000; fax +91-11-2419-8407. The Embassy’s Internet home page address is https://in.usembassy.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located atC-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051, telephone +91-22-2672-4000; fax +91-22-2363-0350. The Internet home page address ishttps://in.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/mumbai/.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006, telephone +91-44-2857-4000; fax +91-44-2811-2027. The Internet home page address is https://in.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/chennai/.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone +91-33-3984-2400; fax +91-33-2282-2335. The Internet home page address is https://in.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/kolkata/.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003; telephone: +91 (40) 4033-8300. The Internet home page address is https://in.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/hyderabad/ .