As we have previously advised, the Department of State reminds all U.S. citizens in the India-Pakistan border region to comply with Indian government directions, exercise caution, maintain a low profile, avoid all demonstrations, and monitor local media for security updates. The Department further reminds U.S. citizens of its general advice that you avoid travel to areas within ten kilometers of the border between India and Pakistan. The only official India-Pakistan border crossing point for persons who are not citizens of India or Pakistan is in the state of Punjab between Atari, India, and Wagah, Pakistan. You are strongly advised to confirm the current status of the border crossing prior to commencing travel. The Department further wishes to remind U.S. citizens of its strong recommendation that you avoid travel to Jammu & Kashmir (with the exception of visits to the eastern Ladakh region and its capital, Leh) because of the potential for terrorist incidents, as well as violent public unrest.
U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information can be found. The U.S. Embassy also encourages U.S. citizens to review the “Traveler’s Checklist,” which includes valuable security information for those living and traveling abroad.
Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well. In addition to information on the internet, travelers may obtain the latest information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or outside the United States and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone +91-11-2419-8000; fax +91-11-2419-8407. The Embassy’s Internet home page address is http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located atC-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051, telephone +91-22-2672-4000; fax +91-22-2363-0350. The Internet home page address is http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006, telephone +91-44-2857-4000; fax +91-44-2811-2027. The Internet home page address is http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone +91-33-3984-2400; fax +91-33-2282-2335. The Internet home page address is http://kolkata.usconsulate.gov/.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003; telephone: +91 (40) 4033-8300. The Internet home page address is http://hyderabad.usconsulate.gov/