The U.S. Consulate wishes all U.S. citizens in Kolkata a safe and happy holiday season as we approach the many upcoming holidays and festivals. We would also like to bring to your attention that the Indian government has issued an alert for possible terrorist strikes in congested areas during this festival season. The Consulate would like to take this opportunity to remind all U.S. citizens to remain extra vigilant over the next several weeks and maintain your situational awareness in light of this announcement. Please review the following information to help you and your family have a safe, secure, and enjoyable festival and holiday season.
- Major tourist areas (i.e. public shopping areas, malls, Puja pandals, large public gatherings, railway stations, bus stops, movie theaters, Victoria Memorial, etc.)
What to expect:
- Heightened police presence throughout all major areas with added vehicle security checkpoints and police drills in public.
- Additional police check points and random vehicle searches.
- Traffic restrictions and/or route diversions of major roads may cause heavier traffic during this season.
- Increased security at shopping centers, restaurants, and hotels.
What you can do:
- Avoid highly congested areas, public transport, etc.
- Monitor local media for information regarding developing security risks and incidents.
- Maintain your situational awareness at all times.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for India.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata. For non-emergency inquiries, U.S. citizens may send an email to the American Citizens Services Unit at kolkataACS@state.gov. For emergencies during and after business hours and on weekends and holidays, U.S. citizens can contact the Consulate Duty Officer at +(91) 99030 42956 or +(91) (33) 3984-2400 (then dial “0”). The Consulate is located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071, West Bengal, India.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.