Event: On March 10, 2019, the Government of India formally announced that general elections will take place between April 11, 2019 and May 19, 2019, with results expected by May 23, 2019. For logistical and security reasons, the states and territories will undergo staggered elections on different dates within this time frame. Political parties are now in full campaign mode. Large gatherings, road closures, and protests may be spontaneous and occasionally prone to unruliness during the campaign season. For specific election dates in areas where you may be traveling, please check the website of the Election Commission of India.
Actions to Take:
• Avoid areas where demonstrations are occurring and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any large gathering.
• Stay current with media coverage of local events, be aware of your surroundings, and practice personal security awareness at all times.
• Enroll in the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP).
• Website: https://in.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/emergency-contact/
• U.S. Embassy in New Delhi
Located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 1100210
• U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay)
Located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
• U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras)
Located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
• U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
• Consulate General in Hyderabad
Located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003
+91 (40) 4033-8300