Event: U.S. citizens in India should exercise caution in light of continued protests throughout the country in response to the approval of the Citizenship Amendment Act. The government imposed the law that prevents gatherings of four or more people – known as Section 144 – in Uttar Pradesh and according to press reports in parts of New Delhi as well, including the Red Fort. Curfews remain in place in some areas. Internet, mobile communications services, traffic, and public transport continue to be affected. There are press reports that internet and mobile communications services have been suspended in parts of northeast and southeast Delhi at the direction of the government.
U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Informationcan be found. The U.S. embassy also encourages U.S. citizens to review the “Traveler’s Checklist,”which includes valuable security information for those living and traveling abroad.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations and civil disturbances.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
Enroll in the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP).
- U.S. Embassy New Delhi
Located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021
- U.S. Consulate General Mumbai (Bombay)
Located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
- U.S. Consulate General Chennai (Madras)
Located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
- U.S. Consulate General Kolkata (Calcutta)
Located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
- U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad
Located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003
+91 (40) 4033-8300
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- India Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter