Event: U.S. citizens in India should exercise caution in light of continued protests throughout the country in response to the approval of the Citizenship Amendment Act. It is important that you monitor local media outlets for updates on demonstrations, road and mass transit closures, curfews, possible impact on air travel, and locations where the internet and mobile phone service may be blocked or otherwise limited. The government-imposed law that prohibits political gatherings of four or more people – known as Section 144 – in certain areas of Uttar Pradesh, New Delhi, and the state of Karnataka remains in effect. Internet and mobile communications services continue to be suspended periodically, and public transport subject to unannounced closures. As a result, the Embassy has recommended its staff avoid the following areas: Old Delhi, Red Fort, India Gate, Jantar Mantar, and Jamia Millia Islamia University. Also be advised that those traveling into Delhi by road should expect traffic delays.
U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information can be found. The U.S. embassy also encourages U.S. citizens to review the “Traveler’s Checklist,”which includes valuable security information for those living and traveling abroad.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations and civil disturbances.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
Enroll in the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP).
- Website: https://in.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/emergency-contact/
- U.S. Embassy New Delhi
Located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021
- U.S. Consulate General Mumbai (Bombay)
Located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
- U.S. Consulate General Chennai (Madras)
Located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
- U.S. Consulate General Kolkata (Calcutta)
Located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
- U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad
Located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003
+91 (40) 4033-8300
- U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444