Event: Local media in Hyderabad have reported a significant increase in police presence throughout the city. This weekend will coincide with the Varalakshmi Vratam and Bakrid holidays. Given the likelihood of large crowds, U.S. government personnel are being advised to avoid the Old City section of Hyderabad throughout the holiday weekend. Expect heightened police presence, additional traffic checks, and road closures.
Actions to Take:
• Avoid the Old City section of Hyderabad throughout the holiday weekend.
• Avoid areas with demonstrations and civil disturbances.
• Keep a low profile.
• Be aware of your surroundings.
• Monitor local media for updates.
• Do not draw attention to yourself.
• Review your personal security plans.
• Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
• Notify friends and family of your safety.
• Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- U.S. Embassy New Delhi
Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021
- U.S. Consulate General Mumbai (Bombay)
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
- U.S. Consulate General Chennai (Madras)
220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
- U.S. Consulate General Kolkata (Calcutta)
5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
- U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad
Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- India Travel Advisory and Country Page
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter