Consulate General Kolkata will be closed for routine consular services on September 2, 2015 due to a planned trade union/transportation strike in Kolkata. U.S. citizens in need of emergency services should contact the Consulate by calling +91-990-304-2956.
We remind U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. U.S. citizens traveling in and around Kolkata should exercise caution and monitor local media for security updates.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information forIndia.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata. For non-emergency inquiries, U.S. citizens may send an email to the American Citizens Services Unit at kolkataACS@state.gov. For emergencies during and after business hours and on weekends and holidays, U.S. citizens can contact the Embassy Duty Officer at +(91) 99030 42956 or +(91) (33) 3984-2400 (then dial “0”). The Embassy is located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071, West Bengal, India.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.