‘The United States is uniquely positioned to offer India a comprehensive energy partnership. This includes all forms of energy – coal; crude oil; natural gas; and nuclear power; as well as technology related to clean fossil fuels, smart grids, energy storage, and renewable resources. Indeed, last year the United States exported its first major shipment of crude oil to India. The United States can also help provide the supporting services, infrastructure, and technology that are necessary for India’s efforts to further develop domestic sources of energy and enhance energy security.
The U.S.-India Strategic Energy Partnership will convene early this year at the Ministerial level, and we look forward to welcoming Energy Secretary Perry to New Delhi. One highlight is our joint work on power and energy efficiency. As India strives to bring stability to its expanding power grid, U.S. companies offer the technology and expertise to meet the demands on overloaded transmission and distribution systems. In addition, we are collaborating on the types of policies, regulations, and financial investments that will support the development of a sustainable and profitable grid.
Our environmental collaboration extends to the oceans and maritime areas, consistent with Prime Minister Modi’s commitment to the blue economy. This includes scientific exchanges on ocean biodiversity, and mining and marine pollution, all of which should help sustain fisheries and coastal communities for decades to come. Indeed, these efforts could be expanded on a regional basis in order to protect the broader marine environment.’ – Ambassador Kenneth I. Juster, January 11, 2018.
- U.S.-India Relations: Building a Durable Partnership for the 21st Century, Remarks by Kenneth I. Juster U.S. Ambassador to India January 11, 2018
- Crude Oil Shipment to India Highlights Expanding Energy Partnership, October 2, 2017
- Fact Sheet: The United States and India – Moving Forward Together on Climate Change, Clean Energy, Energy Security, and the Environment, June 7, 2016
- U.S. Embassy Launches Four-City Workshop on Combating Air Pollution in North India, May 17-26, 2016
- U.S.-India Energy & Climate, Environment, Science & Technology, and Health Cooperation: Fact Sheet, September 22, 2015
- India, United States Establish “PACEsetter Fund” to Accelerate Off-Grid Clean Energy Innovation, June 30, 2015
- Fact Sheet: U.S. and India Climate and Clean Energy Cooperation, January 25, 2015
To further support the achievement of our ambitious climate and clean energy goals, the United States and India have pledged to enhance our cooperation in this area.