American Citizen Services Information

The United States does not have diplomatic relations with Bhutan and there is no U.S. diplomatic presence there. Consular issues relating to Bhutan, including assistance to U.S. citizens, are handled by the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi. Read the Department of State’s Country Information Sheet on Bhutan or U.S. Embassy New Delhi’s A-Z Subject Index for additional information.

The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi has consular responsibilities for Bhutan and maintains frequent and friendly communications with the Bhutanese Embassy in New Delhi. A consular officer periodically visits Bhutan to renew passports, provide notarial services, and take applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad.

Because there is no U.S. Embassy presence in Bhutan, services to U.S. citizens in Bhutan are limited. For example, getting your lost or stolen U.S. passport replaced can be complicated and costly. If you are without a passport you will be required to seek permission to exit Bhutan from Bhutanese immigration authorities, and also obtain advance permission to enter the receiving country from that country’s immigration authorities. The receiving country’s immigration officials may or may not grant such permission. Often, travelers are required to return to the United States to have their passport replaced.

To stay connected: