Message for U.S. Citizens: Immigration Status of U.S. citizens in Bhutan

Location: Bhutan

Event: U.S. Embassy New Delhi is aware of pandemic-related difficulties that may be faced by U.S. citizens in Bhutan resulting from expired passports or the lack of U.S. birth registrations, and the impact that these factors may have on immigration status in Bhutan. The U.S. Embassy is engaged with the Royal Government of Bhutan in an effort to reach accommodations for U.S. citizens in this situation.

Actions to Take: We urge all U.S. citizens to review their personal travel and identity documents. If a child in your family has a U.S. passport that is due to expire soon or if you need to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for a newborn, please write to the American Citizens Services (ACS) unit at and provide the following pieces of information:

  • First and Last name;
  • Date of Birth;
  • Passport number and a Visa number (if applicable).

U.S. citizen adults who need to renew their U.S. passports should follow the instructions located on our website to mail their applications to the Embassy.

We urge U.S. citizens to enroll in STEP at in order to receive critical information from the Embassy related to health and safety in India. Please visit the Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare website for the latest information on travel restrictions

U.S. Embassy New Delhi
Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021
+91 11 2419 8000