Health Alert – U.S. Embassy New Delhi, India (February 14, 2020)
Event: Ongoing outbreak of novel (new) coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, China
On February 7, 2020, the Government of India announced three confirmed cases of novel coronavirus in Kerala, India. These are currently the only confirmed cases of coronavirus reported in India.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Warning recommending against all nonessential travel to China. The CDC currently encourages people to practice usual precautions in India.
Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions by countries that could be put into effect with little or no advance notice. On February 5, 2020, the Government of India announced that existing visas, including e-visas, are no longer valid for any foreign national traveling from China. Those planning to travel from China to India will not be allowed entry. Please visit the Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare website for the latest information on travel restrictions.
- Consult the for the most up-to-date information regarding enhanced screening procedures globally.
- Check with the airlines regarding any flight cancellations and/or restrictions on flying.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Seek medical care right away, if you traveled to Wuhan and feel sick or were exposed to someone who was in Wuhan in the last six weeks who has fever, cough, or difficulty breathing.
Enroll in the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP).
U.S. Embassy New Delhi
Located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021
U.S. Consulate General Mumbai (Bombay)
Located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
U.S. Consulate General Chennai (Madras)
Located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
U.S. Consulate General Kolkata (Calcutta)
Located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad
Located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003
+91 (40) 4033-8300
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444