Are you interested in a career with the Foreign Service but do not know where to start?
First choose a career track. Once you have done that the next step is to register for the Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT) by completing the FSOT registration package. The FSOT is administered online at designated test centers worldwide and takes about three hours to complete. The test is currently being offered three times each year.
The next FSOT at the American Center will be held in October 2018. Please check back in September for more information about registration.
The FSOT Step-by-Step Guide below will walk you through the FSOT process.
Testing details and information may be found at the following web site:
To begin the registration process and to note the changes to the registration process, go here at any time to create an account and submit the completed eligibility verification and application forms. The next step, seat selection, which consists of making an appointment for a specific test date and location, occurs during a limited period that opens approximately five (5) weeks prior to the next test window.
- If you have technical problems/questions regarding the registration process, contact Pearson VUE for assistance.
- After you complete and submit the eligibility verification and application forms, you will receive an on-screen confirmation that you have successfully submitted them. You will also receive an e-mail confirming that Pearson VUE has received the forms.
- Reserve a seat during the same five (5) week period immediately prior to a specific testing window. Test center seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that the number of seats for each window is limited. Once an application for a test window has been selected it cannot be changed. Applications will expire when the testing window closes
- After you have selected a seat, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which includes details about your testing appointment, ID requirements, and directions to the testing center.
- Arrive at your test center with your admissions letter and a valid government issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, passport, or military ID.
- If you need to cancel your test you must do so a minimum of two business days (at least 48 hours) before your scheduled appointment. Your confirmation letter will contain information on how to do so. If you fail to appear or cancel in a timely manner, you will be assessed a “no-show” fee of $72.
- Want to re-take the test? You may take the test only once in an 11-month period. In order to re-take the FSOT, you will need to submit the eligibility verification and application forms again. This will give you the opportunity to update your application. Should you pass the FSOT and essay, you will then be asked to submit a Personal Narrative.