The library offers three types of memberships : local individual, outstation individual and institutional.
Individual Local Membership
Adult residents of Kolkata can obtain membership by presenting proper photo-identification with address proof (e.g. voter’s identity card, driving license, passport, letter of introduction from employer, bank passbook). College students may show their identity cards and current fee book, or a certificate from the college giving name and residential address.
Individual Outstation Membership
American Library offers outstation membership to people in eastern and north eastern India residing outside Kolkata. Books are sent to outstation members at the library’s cost and members return these books on or before the due date by registered parcel post . Outstation individual and family members can borrow seven and eight books respectively for a period of eight weeks.
The American Library offers institutional membership to commercial organizations and educational/research institutions in Eastern India. Interested organizations/institutions may obtain enrollment forms (PDF 40 KB) from the American Library and register themselves as institutional members. Please go through the Details Of Our Institutional Membership.
A laminated barcoded membership card is issued to members for access to the library and to check-in and check-out books, journals, videocassettes, CDROMs and DVDs. It is not transferable. A member is responsible for all library materials borrowed on his/her card. Change of address should be reported immediately.
The loss of a membership card should be reported immediately to the Circulation Librarian, or else books drawn on the lost card continue to be the responsibility of the borrower to whom the card was issued. On payment of Rs. 25/-, a fresh card is issued against the lost or damaged card, provided no books or videocassette
Library Membership Age Policy
The American Library, Kolkata has members of various age groups who all expect the facilities to be clean, comfortable, and safe places for selecting materials, reading, researching, studying, writing, and attending programs. To this end, the Library is responsible for establishing a policy regarding membership age.
Who May Get A Library Card
- Any individual, whose primary residence is within the district covered by the U.S. Consulate, Kolkata is entitled to a library card.
- There is no age limit.
- Identification (photo ID) showing a current mailing address is needed.
- A legal guardian’s signature is required if the applicant is under age 14.
Age Limit for Library Entry
- Anyone age 14 or older may visit the library, and use the library services, by presenting his or her membership card to the library staff.
- Children under age 14 must be accompanied by their parent/guardian/teacher while visiting the library.
- While in the library, the parent/guardian must supervise their children so they do not disturb patrons or Library staff.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for lost or damaged materials borrowed by their children.