United States Consulate General Chennai, India
Demonstration Alert for U.S. Citizens:
Demonstrations in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala
(February 16, 2018)
Location: Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, India; state-wide
Event: On February 16, 2018, the Supreme Court will deliver a final verdict on appeals filed by Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerala regarding the dispute over the sharing of Cauvery River water. Previous decisions regarding the Cauvery watershed have resulted in sporadic protests and violence.
In advance of the verdict, some public bus services between Bangalore and Chennai, have been suspended. Schools and universities remain open. The state governments have taken precautionary measures. Press reports indicate that security has been increased in Tamil Nadu, Bengaluru (Bangalore), and Mysuru (Mysore).
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations and civil disturbances.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not draw attention to yourself.
- Review your personal security plans.
- The U.S. Embassy New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone: +91-11-2419-8000; website: https://in.usembassy.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051; telephone: +91-22-2672-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006; telephone: +91-44-2857-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone: +91-33-3984-2400.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003; telephone: +91-40-4033-8300.
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- S. State Department – Consular Affairs; telephone: 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).