Demonstrations are expected to take place in Mumbai this weekend related to the death of a New Delhi gang rape victim. Protesters reportedly began gathering on the Azad Maidan in South
Mumbai mid-day on Saturday, December 29, and media was reporting a possible march from South Mumbai to the northern suburbs for later in the day. Stay tuned to local news sources for the most up-to-date information.
Spontaneous and planned demonstrations take place in India from time to time in response to world events or local developments. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn violent. Please avoid the areas where demonstrations are occurring and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any large gatherings. Please stay current with media coverage of local events, be aware of your surroundings, and practice personal security awareness at all times.
U.S. citizens traveleing and residing abraod should enroll in the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP). U.S. citizens without internet access may enrolldirectly at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at their destination. By enrolling, U.S. citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.
Updated information on travel and security may be ontained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. For futher information please consult the Worldwide Caution and other consular information, including Country Specific Information, for specific countries. These products and the latest international travel information for U.S. citizens are available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs on Facebook as well. You can also download our free Smart Traveler iPhone app to have travel information at your fingertips.
- The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakya Puri 110021; telephone +91-11-2419-8000; fax +91-11-2419-8587. For after-hours emergencies, please call the 24-hour operator at (+91-11) 2418-8000 and as for American Citizen Services.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051; telephone +91-22-2672-4000. For after-hours emergencies please call the 24-hour operator at +91-22-2672-4000 and ask for American Citizen Services. If you are calling from within India, but outside Mumbai, first dial 022.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 6000006; telephone +91-44-2857-4000; fax +91-44-2811-2027. For after-hours emergencies please call the 24-hour operator at +91-44-2857-4000 and ask for American Citizen Services. If you are calling from within India, but outside Chennai, first dial 044.
- The U.S. Consualte General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone +91-33-3984-2400; fax +91-33-2282-2335. For after-hours emergencies, please call our primary hotline cell phone +91-99030-42956. If unable to reach the cell phone, please call +91-33-3984-2400 and dial “0” and ask for the Duty Officer.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003; telephone +91-40-4033-8300. For after-hours emergencies, please call the 24-hour operator at +91-40-4033-8300 and ask for American Citizen Services. I you are calling from within India, but outside Hyderabad, first dial 040.