Demonstration Alert – U.S. Consulate General Chennai, India (October 13, 2023)
Location: Chennai, India. Planned gathering point is:
- The neighborhood surrounding the U.S. Consulate General located at 220, Anna Salai, Gemini Circle
Event: There are calls for a protest of U.S. policies in the Middle East on Tuesday, October 17, 2023, beginning at approximately 4:00 p.m. U.S. government personnel are advised to expect heightened security, including an increased police presence around the Consulate. The Consulate does not anticipate any interruption to Consulate operations, but the situation could change quickly.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations and civil disturbances.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not draw attention to yourself.
- Review your personal security plans.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006; telephone: +91-44-2857-4000.
- The U.S. Embassy New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone: +91-11-2419-8000; website: https://in.usembassy.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051; telephone: +91-22-2672-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone: +91-33-3984-2400.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is located at Survey No. 115/1, Financial District, Nanakramguda 500032; telephone: +91-40-6932-8000.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs; telephone: 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).