United States Consulate General Chennai, India
Demonstration Alert for U.S. Citizens:
Demonstrations and Strike in Karnataka
(January 25, 2018)
Location: Karnataka, India; state-wide, but particularly affecting Bengaluru (Bangalore)
Event: A general strike has been organized throughout Karnataka for January 25, 2018, regarding a dispute over water resources with the neighboring state of Goa. Protests have been reported in Bengaluru (Bangalore) and across the state of Karnataka, and some services including public transportation have been suspended. Many businesses have closed, while hospitals remain open. Press reports indicate the strike and protests are expected to last one day.
The U.S. Foreign Commercial Service (FCS) Office is temporarily closed to the public January 25, 2018. January 26 is a local holiday, and the U.S. Consulate General in Chennai and the FCS Office in Bangalore are scheduled to be closed. Offices plan to reopen on Monday, January 29, 2018.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations and civil disturbances.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not draw attention to yourself.
- Review your personal security plans.
- The U.S. Embassy New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone: +91-11-2419-8000; website: https://in.usembassy.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051; telephone: +91-22-2672-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006; telephone: +91-44-2857-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone: +91-33-3984-2400.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003; telephone: +91-40-4033-8300.
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- S. State Department – Consular Affairs; telephone: 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).