United States Consulate General Chennai, India
Demonstration Alert for U.S. Citizens:
Demonstrations in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu
(April 3, 2018)
Location: Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, India
Event: Some political groups have called for protests and boycotts April 3-5 following a recent Supreme Court decision regarding the sharing of Cauvery River water. Previous decisions regarding the Cauvery watershed have resulted in sporadic protests and violence. In particular, protests may occur along the Tamil Nadu and Karnataka border. Some public bus services between Bengaluru (Bangalore) and Chennai may be suspended. Shops and other services may be closed on April 5. The state governments have taken precautionary measures. Press reports indicate security has been increased at Chennai’s Marina Beach and other locations.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations and civil disturbances.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not draw attention to yourself.
- Review your personal security plans.
- The U.S. Embassy New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone: +91-11-2419-8000; website: https://in.usembassy.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051; telephone: +91-22-2672-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006; telephone: +91-44-2857-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone: +91-33-3984-2400.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003; telephone: +91-40-4033-8300.
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- S. State Department – Consular Affairs; telephone: 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).