United States Consulate General Chennai, India
Demonstration Alert for U.S. Citizens:
Demonstrations across Kerala
January 3, 2019
Location: Kerala, India
Event: Protests and demonstrations concerning the Sabarimala Temple
Media report widespread protests and a call for a general strike throughout the state of Kerala related to the opening of Sabarimala Temple to women of childbearing age. Despite an Indian Supreme Court decision allowing entry, the entry of two women into the temple on January 2 has led to violent protests throughout Kerala, including in Palakkad, Kasargode, and Kollam. The protests have, so far, led to the death of one person and caused substantial property damage, including the destruction of 45 public buses. A general strike could cause work stoppages, shop closures, and transportation delays.
It is recommended for everyone to take reasonable precautions regarding personal security and avoid any large crowds.
Actions to Take
- Avoid areas with demonstrations and civil disturbances.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Do not draw attention to yourself.
- Review your personal security plans.
- The U.S. Embassy New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone: +91-11-2419-8000; website: https://in.usembassy.gov.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051; telephone: +91-22-2672-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is located at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006; telephone: +91-44-2857-4000.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is located at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone: +91-33-3984-2400.
- The U.S. Consulate General in Hyderabad is located at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003; telephone: +91-40-4033-8300.
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and India Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- S. State Department – Consular Affairs; telephone: 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
If you would like to unsubscribe from these messages, follow the link below. Select “unsubscribe” and enter your email address: