Health Alert – U.S. Embassy New Delhi
Event: On March 24, Indian Prime Minister Modi announced a nationwide curfew through April 15, 2020 in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.While the exact parameters of the curfew are still unclear, U.S. citizens should cooperate by sheltering in place. U.S. Citizens are required to comply with Indian law and obey directions from law enforcement officers.We are in contact with the Indian government to emphasize the need for hotels to continue to lodge U.S. citizens.
The U.S. Mission to India continues to work with the U.S. Department of State and airline companies to arrange flights from India to the United States for U.S. citizens. Once these flights are arranged, we will work with the Indian government to arrange to the greatest extent possible safe passage to airports for U.S. citizens.
We know there is great interest from U.S. citizens in obtaining assistance to depart India, and we are working to support necessary arrangements.We will provide daily updates about our efforts via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) application.We urge U.S. citizens to enroll in STEP at www.step.state.gov in order to receive critical information from the Embassy concerning flight opportunities. Our Embassy and Consulates continue to take phone calls and emails from U.S. citizens currently in India, but the best way to ensure you are informed, should flights opportunities become available, is to enroll in the STEP application.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program at www.step.state.gov
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding U.S. and foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in India.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the United States.
- Review the Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare website for information on COVID-19 and Indian travel advisories.
- U. S. Embassy New Delhi
Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021
- U.S. Consulate General Mumbai (Bombay)
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051
- U.S. Consulate General Chennai (Madras)
220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006
- U.S. Consulate General Kolkata (Calcutta)
5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071
- U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad
Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500003
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- India Travel Advisory and Country Page
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter